Why RCT Children’s Services?
Working at Rhondda Cynon Taf Children’s Services, you will have access to a wide range of staff benefits, as well as an extensive range of learning and development opportunities. We also want to do everything we can to ensure that we protect your wellbeing, and you have a positive work/life balance. All our practitioners are supported by a strong, experienced management team both at strategic and operational levels. You will manage a defined caseload while building and maintaining links with partner agencies. We also offer excellent supervision opportunities.
Other staff benefits include:
- The right to request flexible working and we have supportive policies for parents which include enhanced maternity, adoption and paternity pay. We also work in an agile way, which enables you to work from both home and the office.
- Access to our Occupational Health Unit which offers wellbeing support and advice such as counselling, health surveillance, nurses and physiotherapist services. Also, CARI, our new digital confidential wellbeing tool which will provide you with a wide range of tools to support your wellbeing needs. Practitioners also have opportunities to access Reflective sessions from practitioner psychologists for groups or individuals as required.
- We offer 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days after 5 years’ service. There is also an option to purchase additional annual leave to a maximum of 10 days (pro rata) per year.
- Working for RCT Council, you will have access to the generous Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Additional Council wide benefits include our Cycle to Work scheme, discounted LeisureForLife membership and a staff discount Vectis card. Why work for RCT
Living and Working in RCT
Enjoy a good quality of life living in RCT.
- In RCT we have a rich cultural heritage for you to explore and stunning landscapes perfect for activities such as cycling, walking, golf, horse riding, quad biking, rock climbing and one of the world’s fastest seated zip lines at Zip World Tower.
- There are unique attractions to visit, including historic theatres, country parks, museums, the Royal Mint Experience and the National Lido of Wales.
- RCT has a range of housing at affordable prices, with the average house price being £159,969, with flats sold for an average of £177, 037 and terraced houses for £154,986 as of December 2021.
- RCT is just a short distance from Cardiff, Wales’ capital city. It is also within travelling distance of the Brecon Beacons National Park and Swansea, which has some of the UK’s best beaches.
Social Work Salary
Entry Level- must hold a Professional Social Work qualification i.e. MA/Degree in Social Work or recognised predecessor equivalent e.g. CQSW, DipSW, CSS.
Grade 11 - £38,296
Experienced Social Worker
Requires a minimum of 3 years post qualifying experience. For those who qualified after 1st April 2016 in Wales, successful completion of Social Care Wales registration requirement ‘First Year in Practice’ and Consolidation Programme for Newly Qualified Social Workers and first re-registration after 3 years post qualifying. For those qualifying outside of Wales evidence of 3 years post qualifying experience and registration with Social Care Wales is required.
Grade 12 - £41,496
Principal Social Worker
Significant post qualifying experience, including that at Experienced Social Worker level. Requires you to deputise for the Team Manager, manage complex cases and undertake a quality assurance role.
Grade 13 - £44,539
Team Practice & Performance Manager.
This role requires significant post qualifying experience in the related discipline (5 years +)
Grade 14 – £47,573
All staff within our Early Intervention - Enquiry and Assessment Teams and our Intensive Intervention Teams (East and West, 1,2,3) are eligible to receive a £2000.00 market supplement. This is regardless of length of post qualifying experience and will be reviewed in May 2023. This payment will be paid pro rata on a monthly basis.
Learning and Development Opportunities
“I started working for the council as a casual support worker and with experience and development I was supported to complete my social work qualification. Further post qualifying training, experience and promotion opportunities have enabled me to advance my career within RCT and I am now a member of the Children’s Services Management Team” - Head of Service, Family Support & Accommodation
At Rhondda Cynon Taf Council we believe it is important for every employee to achieve their full potential. If you choose a career at RCT Children’s Services, you will have access to our dedicated in-house Learning and Development Centre, which actively supports practitioners at each level to maintain their skills and Continuous Professional Development, this includes:
- A comprehensive ‘First Year in Practice’ programme that supports newly qualified social workers.
- An opportunity to enrol in our mandatory consolidation programme, upon successful completion of your First Year in Practice.
- A range of sponsored post qualifying programmes available for Continuous Professional Education and Learning (CPEL).
- Opportunities for experienced social workers who are looking to progress to management, to enrol on the Team Manager Development Programme.
- Tailored Continuous Professional Development opportunities available to workers in specialist roles, to enhance current knowledge and further develop.
- We are developing a programme to support practitioner wellbeing in RCT Children’s Services, with the focus of nurturing supportive resilient teams.