Skip to main content

Money matters - Armed forces

The challenging economic climate can be even tougher if you are experiencing health and mental health issues or are preparing to enter new training or employment.

Welfare Rights

It is important to remember there are dedicated Welfare Rights Advisors, including ones who work for the Royal British Legion, who can help you. They ensure you are receiving the financial assistance and benefits you are entitled to and also help you manage your money.
For more information please visit the Benefit Changes Section on the website or,
Telephone: 01443 425003

Council Tax and Housing Benefits

To make an application or to calculate whether you are eligible for assistance, please use our claims calculator

Fuel Poverty

If you’re worried about the cost of heating your home call 01443 425725. You can also contact Nest on 0808 808 2244 or visit NEST. Nest is a Welsh Government scheme working to make Welsh homes warmer and more energy-efficient places to live.

Free School Meals and Clothing Allowance

You can find advice on eligibility and apply for Free School Meals online.

Leisure services

Serving Armed Forces Personnel currently enjoy free access to our Leisure Centre activities by joining the Council Leisure Membership Scheme. 

Blue Badge

View details on eligibility and how to apply for a Blue Badge.

Consumer Advice

Residents who believe their consumer rights have been breached,  can telephone the Citizens' Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 040506 as their first point of contact should they experience difficulties with goods, services, credit or hire, where they will be given initial advice on their problems.

General advice can also be found on the Advice to Consumers page

Veterans Welfare Service

The Veterans Welfare Service (VWS) gives support to veterans, those who are eligible to claim for the MOD pension and compensation Schemes and their dependants. The focus of the service is to provide assistance following a change in situation that may have resulted in a welfare need, such as leaving the services and changes affecting income or finances. VWS caseworkers offer one to one professional help and guidance by telephone, or if needed, during a home visit.

Please telephone 0808 1914218 or email to access this service.

George Purse Fund

The George Purse Trust  provides grants to support the welfare needs of Veterans who live in South Wales and are in need of respite care, welfare holidays and convalescence.

Application forms can be obtained from the Royal British Legion  by calling 0808 802 8080 or by contacting SSAFA on 020 2038 3852

Royal British Legion. 

The Royal British Legion can provide a variety of grants to serving and ex-Service people and their dependants who are suffering financially, including those who need urgent assistance to get through a temporary crisis, such as homelessness.

View further information about the Royal British Legion


SSAFA are an Armed Forces Charity that provide a variety of services to support the Armed Forces community. They offer a service to assist with the purchase of Household Goods. If you are a Veteran and in need of essential household items, including white and brown goods, then their volunteers can help you to get hold of them.

View further information about the SSAFA.