How we use your personal information for Council Tax Single Person Discount Review purposes
The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with.
We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which we use your personal information for [The Blue Badge Parking Permit Scheme] purposes. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s corporate privacy notice
1. Who we are, what we do.
As the Billing Authority for Council Tax, the Council holds certain information about you to administer and collect Council Tax which includes any discounts you may be entitled to.
If you are over the age of 18 and live alone, you will be eligible for a single person discount of 25% off your council tax bill.
The Council will continuously review entitlement to the single person discount , to ensure that where a discount has been awarded there is a genuine entitlement to that discount. We will do this by matching your information against the electoral register, any credit agreements that have been taken out against your address and reviewing against the list of all named adults at your address.
Where we establish that there has been a change in circumstances which affects your entitlement to the discount, we will amend your council tax bill and advise you of this.
2. What and whose personal information we hold?
We hold information about individuals deemed liable to pay council tax in the County Borough and who are in receipt of the single person discount.
The types of information we hold and process will typically include:
- Contact details including; name, address, telephone numbers and email address.
- Financial details such as bank account number if you pay council tax by Direct Debit.
- In some circumstances information about your family, dependents or non-dependents such as, their age, where status discounts and exemptions are allowed – e.g. apprentices, students, trainees, school/college leavers.
3. Where does the service get my information from?
The personal information we collect about you can come from a variety of different sources as listed below:
- Information provided directly by you for example on an application form or through correspondence with us.
- Information returned to us through our review partners who check financial activity at your address to indicate who may reside there
4. What will we do with your personal information?
We will use this personal information to review your single persons discount.
This may include any of the following:
5. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?
Data Protection law says that we are allowed to use and share personal information only where we have a proper and lawful reason for doing so.
Our lawful basis for processing this information for the above purposes is
To undertake our official statutory duties and to satisfy our legal obligations under the following legislation:
- Local Government Finance Act 199
- Regulations 14,15 and 16 of the Council Tax (Administration & Enforcement) Regulations 1992
- The Theft Act 1968
- Part 2, Article 12 of the Local Authorities (Contracting Out of Tax Billing, Collection and Enforcement Functions) Order 1996 as laid down by Statutory Instrument No 1880.
6. Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?
From time to time, we will share your personal information with advisers and service providers so that they can help us carry out our duties, rights and discretions in relation to council tax. These may include:
Internal Council Services such as:
- Electoral Registration – to confirm residency
- Benefits – to assist in the administration of a Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction award
- Our partner agencies who are carrying out the review on our behalf
- Civica UK Ltd – for the administration of Council Tax, including account maintenance and single person discount reviews.
- Transunion - To complete financial/residency checks as part of council tax discount review activity.
7. How long will my information be kept?
We will keep your personal information for 7 years for administration purposes and to deal with any questions or complaints that we may receive about this, unless the law requires us to keep it for a longer period.
8. Your information, your rights
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you important rights, including the right to access the personal information the services hold about you.
Click here for further information on your information rights and how to exercise them.
9. Contact us
If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By telephone: 01443 425002
- In writing: Financial Services Division, Ty Bronwydd, Porth, CF39 9DL