Skip to main content

Child Licensing and Chaperoning

Children have to be licenced to work and for the majority of performance that they take part in.  Performances require children to be accompanied by a licensed chaperone.

Child Performance Licence

You may need to apply for a Child Performance Licence from your Local Authority for a child to take part in;

  • A public performance, eg. a film, play or musical
  • A sporting event for which the child will be paid
  • A modelling assignment that you’re organising and for which the child will be paid

View further details with regards to Children in Entertainment.

Child Employment Permit

If you are employing children under compulsory school leaving age within your business, you need to apply for a Child Employment work permit from the local authority. This applies whether the child is paid or unpaid

View further details with regards to Child Employment.


Children who take part in public performances or entertainment under a local authority licence, must be supervised by an approved chaperone unless they are in the care of their parent or an approved tutor. To apply for a chaperone licence an applicant must be over the age of 18 and have a valid DBS certificate (this can be applied for during the process).

Chaperone licences are valid for three years. It is your responsibility to ensure you renew the licence at the end of this period as we do not issue renewal letters.

Completed applications should be sent to:

Attendance and Wellbeing Service (AWS)

Valleys Innovation Centre

Navigation Park,

Mountain Ash

CF45 4SN

Tel: 01443 744298