Skip to main content

Changes to the path network (Public Right of Way Orders)

The Definitive Map and Statement

The Definitive Map and Statement is the legal record of Public Rights of Way. The Map is conclusive evidence as to the existence and status of any right of way shown, whilst the Statement is conclusive evidence as to the position, width, and limitations or conditions.

There are three Definitive Maps for RCT:

  • Rhondda - published 16/04/1993 at a scale of 1:10 000 (Relevant Date 16/10/1992) 
  • Cynon - published 15/12/1995 at a scale of 1:10 000 (Relevant Date 15/12/1995)
  • Taf - published 20/12/1990 at a scale of 1:25 000 (Relevant Date 01/01/1971)

Viewing the Definitive Map

The Definitive Map is not available to purchase. To book an appointment to view the actual Definitive Map and Statements, please contact the Public Rights of Way team. 

You can view our Interactive Map here. This is not a legal document but is derived from a working copy of the Definitive Map and is useful in understanding where paths are generally located. It is updated continuously, which means it also shows the effect of all modifications made to the Definitive Maps since their respective relevant dates. However, it should be noted that viewing the data at a larger scale will give errors of false precision and should not be relied upon for legal or commercial purposes. 

Definitive Map Modification Orders

Under the provisions of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, the Definitive Map and Statement must be kept under continous review. Legislation recognises that it may not be a complete record of the Public Rights of Way. A Modification Order may be applied for by any person wishing to modify the Definitive Map and Statement, and either claim a new Public Right of Way, change or delete an existing one, based on historical evidence. To make an application to modify the Definitive Map please contact the Rights of Way Team.

A register of applications made to date can be viewed here - Definitive Map Modification Order Applications.

Divert or Close a Public Right of Way

Public Rights of Way (footpaths, bridleways or restricted byways) can be permanently closed or diverted for a variety of reasons including development via a legal order known as a Public Path Order. These Order can be made by the Council.

To apply to the Council for a diversion or extinguishment of a public right of way, please contact the Public Rights of Way Team.

Temporary Closure of a Public Right of Way

Public Rights of Way can be temporarily closed or diverted to allow for works to be carried out safely on or near a path or following surface damage. 

Apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO)

Other sources of information:

NRW - Definitive Map and Statements

Ramblers - The Definitive Map