Skip to main content

Flooded drain and gully - Report a problem

Flooding can occur for a number of reasons and different organisations are responsible for flooding in different situations. 

Drainage grills and gratings (e.g. on gullies) can become blocked very quickly when materials like mud are deposited on the road or when there is a heavy fall of leaves.

A gully is one of the road drain inlets situated in the road next to the kerb and is usually covered by a slotted grating.  Its purpose is to collect surface water from the highway.

A culvert is where a stream or watercourse flows underground in pipes or structures.

You can report a problem with drain flooding on the roads online

If the flooded drain or gully is deemed an emergency, please contact us on our emergency telephone number 01443 425001 (Out of office hours 01443 425011).

If a flooded road is caused by a ruptured water main the water company will be responsible for repairing the damage.

Water is directed to drains by the road profile. Puddles (ponding) tend to occur if there is a depression in the road. This can be rectified where necessary by local patching of the road surface.

Flooding from public sewers

The water company own and manage the network of public foul and surface water sewers. The majority of public sewers are located in highways and the Council has a copy of the sewer maps, which can be viewed at the Council Offices.

To report an overflowing public sewer, you should call Kelda Water Services for Dwr Cymru Welsh Water Customer Services on 08000853968

Flooding from private sewers or drains

If your private drains or sewers are overflowing, you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage.  If you are uncertain if any blockage is in the public or private sewers, the water company should be able to determine this, once on site, then recharge you the cost of any work on the private sewers.

Flooding from the public highway

For flooding from the public highway or reporting blocked road gullies or gratings, contact us.

Flooding from a burst water main

The local water supply company are Dwr Cymru Welsh Water

Contact Dwr Cymru Welsh Water - Tel: 08000520130.

The water company are responsible for their supply up to and including the water stopcock.

Flooding from a water service pipe or internal pipework

This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber.

Flooding from a main river

The main rivers are the responsibility of Natural Resources Wales,

Contact Natural Resources Wales - Tel: 0300 065 3000

In addition, NRW provide a "Floodline", which is a 24 hour advice and information service for floods and flood warning on 0345 988 1188.

Flooding from watercourses, other than main rivers

Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian owners. You are a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or very near, a watercourse. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and the Council can serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions. Certain "strategic" watercourses, that are known to pose a high risk of property flooding if they become blocked, are checked and maintained by the Council's contractor on a regular basis.

Provision of sandbags to protect against flooding

The Council makes sandbags available to residents of the district, during emergency situations, to enable them to protect their homes from flooding. However, residents who are aware that their homes are at a high risk of flooding, e.g. as a result of the close proximity of a watercourse, are recommended to obtain sandbags from a builders' merchant to enable early preparation, as at times of flooding the Council's contractor may not be able to reach all properties before flooding occurs.

You can request sandbags by calling 01443 425001

Flood clean up advice

Please see the attached guidance and information leaflets providing advice on cleaning up after a flood.