Skip to main content

Council tax bands

Each dwelling is billed for Council Tax, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, caravan or houseboat (owned or rented)

Each property is allocated to one of nine valuation bands by the Valuation Office Agency (part of Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) according to its market value on 1st April 2003.

The band of your property is shown on your bill. Properties in band D will pay the basic charge and properties in other bands will be charged proportionately.

The bands are shown below:

Council Tax Bands
Council Tax bandsHouse values
A up to £44,000
B over £44,001 and up to £65,000
C over £65,001 and up to £91,000
D over £91,001 and up to £123,000
E over £123,001 and up to £162,000
F over £162,001 and up to £223,000
G over £223,001 and up to £324,000
H over £324,001 and up to £424,000
I over £424,001

Can I appeal against my property’s valuation band?

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) values domestic properties for council tax. This valuation is used to set your council tax band. You might need to contact the VOA if you think your council tax band is wrong.

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do at If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

You can contact the VOA at If you are unable to use the online service you can also contact the VOA on 03000 505 505.

Or alternatively you can contact us for further information:

Council Tax
Oldway House
CF39 9ST
Tel: 01443 425002
Minicom: 01443 680708