Skip to main content

Tell us once - Informing us of a death

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council is providing a service which we hope will make things easier for you when someone dies. This service means that you can just tell us and we will inform Council departments and other Government organisations.

When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these things is contacting a range of government departments and local authority services that need to be told.

How the service can help you

When someone has died, their death needs to be registered with the Registrar. Once that's done, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information.

We're providing a new service where, if you agree, we can help you to give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions. They then pass it on to a number of other government departments and local authority services.

How you can contact us to use the service

There are different ways you can use the service, once you have registered the death with the Registrar:

On line at:

In person...

Straight after the registration of death, the Registrar/advisor can help you give the information to Department of Works and Pensions. Alternatively you can make a local appointment via the Registrar for a more convenient time for yourself.

You can make an appointment at Pontypridd Register Office or at the One4All Centres in Porth, Treorchy or Aberdare.

Call (01443) 494024  to make an appointment.

Who we can give information to

We will contact the following organisations if we need to:

  • Department for Work and Pensions: The Pension, Disability and Carers Service and Jobcentre Plus
  • HM Revenue & Customs: Child Benefit and Tax Credits 
  • Identity & Passport Service
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Benefit Office

We can also contact the following organisations, if you ask us to:

  • Council Tax
  • Collection of payment for Council Services
  • Blue Badges
  • Concessionary Travel
  • Electoral Services
  • Adult Service
  • Children’s Services
  • The DVLA
  • Libraries

How we will treat the information you give us

We will treat the information you give us securely. The organisations we give your information to will use it to update records; to end services, benefits and entitlements as appropriate; and to resolve any outstanding issues. They may use the information we give them in other ways, but only as the law allows.

Information you will need to use the service

We want to make sure we give the right information to any organisations we contact. So we will need the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Their death certificate
  • Their Passport Number (if you want us to inform the Passport Service)
  • Their Driver’s Licence Number (if you want us to inform the DVLA)

We may also ask you for information about:

  • Their next of kin
  • Any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate.
  • Anybody who is getting Child Benefit on their behalf

You must obtain the agreement of the persons listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

If you are the next of kin, you may be entitled to an increase in benefits, so please have your own National Insurance number to hand when you contact us.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person who is dealing with the deceased's estate, you can still use the service if you have the authority to act on their behalf.

Please remember that it is still your responsibility to make sure that any organisation that pays you a benefit

has correct and up to date information.