Skip to main content

Finding someone to speak on my behalf

Advocacy means getting support from another person to help you express your views and wishes, and to help make sure your voice is heard.

Someone who helps you in this way is called your advocate.  An advocate is someone who will speak up for you, on your behalf, help to get your voice heard and help to get other people to listen to what you want.  An advocate's role includes arguing your case when you need them to, and making sure the correct procedures are followed by your health and social care services.

Advocacy services help people – particularly those who are most vulnerable in society to:  

  • access information and services
  • be involved in decisions about their lives
  • explore choices and options
  • defend and promote their rights and responsibilities
  • speak out about issues that matter to them

Dewis Centre for Independent Living (C.I.L.) is a voluntary organisation that provides Advocacy services in Rhondda Cynon Taf.

You can get an advocate by contacting Dewis Advocacy Service

Dewis Centre for Independent Living

Amber House,
Upper Boat Business Park
Upper Boat
CF37 5BP

Tel: 01443 827930