The Supporting People Programme
was established in 2003, the programme funded Housing-Related Support Services for those in housing need. In April 2019 Welsh Government merged the Supporting People Grant with the Homelessness Prevention Grant and the enforcement element of Rent Smart Wales to create a new Housing Support Grant (HSG). HSG now funds Housing-Related Support Services in Rhondda Cynon Taf (RCT).
How can we help?
Housing-Related Support Services can help you to gain the skills needed to live independently within your community. This does not just mean having somewhere to live but being able to live there safe and happily.
It can support you in your current tenancy, moving into a new tenancy, if you don’t have a tenancy of your own and offers supported accommodation. For further information please see ‘Housing-Related Support Leaflet’.
Support can include:
- Support to settle and maintain your home, including managing a tenancy.
- Support with budgeting, debts (e.g. rent arrears), benefits, managing money and maximising income.
- Support to develop practical living skills.
- Signposting and support to link with other agencies such as Drug/Alcohol Services, GP, Mental Health etc.
- Support looking for work, training, volunteering or finding activities in your local area.
- Advice on housing issues, arrears, eviction etc.
- Help filling in forms or reading forms (e.g. letter and bills).
- Support to move and look for alternative accommodation.
What services are available?
There are a range of services available, please see ‘HSG Directory’. The directory lists all RCT Housing-Related Support Services and provides photos of some of the projects.
Who can receive a Housing-Related Support Service?
If you are aged 16+ and living in RCT you can make a self-referral or be referred by family member or friend, Social Worker, Careers Officer or other agencies working with you.
What the Housing-Related Support Service cannot do:
- Manage your finances for you
- Pay your bills for you
- Give you personal care or help with washing and dressing (We will help you apply for home care services)
- Do housework, cooking or carry out repairs for you (We will help you to report repairs or apply for home care services)
- Go with you on outings or events
- Settle disputes between you and other people
- Give counselling
How do I apply for Housing-Related Support?
Please see ‘Housing-Related Support Referral Form’.
A referral form can be completed by you or someone else. If you have support from another worker (e.g. social worker, probation officer etc.) or family member they can complete this form with you.
If you are completing the form on behalf of someone else, please discuss the referral with them and ensure that they are happy to receive support and give their consent.
If you have any further questions, or need support filling in the form, please contact the team.
Housing Support Grant Team
Sardis Road Pontypridd
Tel: 01443 281482