How we use your personal information for The Adult Community Learning Service purposes
The Council provides services for local communities and the people who live in them. Undertaking this work means that we must collect and use information about the people we provide services to and keep a record of those services. Because we collect and use personal information about individuals we must make sure that they know what we intend to do with their information and who it may be shared with.
We have summarised in this privacy notice some of the key ways in which we use your personal information for adult education purposes. This information should be read in conjunction with the Council’s corporate privacy notice.
1. Who we are, what we do.
The RCT Adult Community Learning service provides a range of learning opportunities to Adults within the authority.
Many courses are accredited with external awarding bodies such as Agored Cymru, Qualsafe, BCS.
2. What and whose personal information we hold?
We hold information on anyone who has attended any of our courses and/or events.
The types of information we hold and process will typically include:
- Full name
- Age/Date of Birth
- Contact details; telephone number/email
- National Insurance number
- Employment status
- Details of current benefits received (if applicable)
- Ethnic Origin
- National Identity
- Educational background
- Language preference
- Next of kin (emergency contact)
Card details are processed when taking payments for courses that incur a fee. Refer to Payments (made to the Council) privacy notice for further information.
3. Where does the service get my information from?
We obtain this personal information directly from the person who is attending a course/event. It is collected when you register a booking online and when you complete the enrolment form at the start of the course.
We may also receive your information from other organisations or services, such as Adult Learning Wales, Communities for Work Plus (CfW+).
We also record the qualification(s) you achieved throughout the course(s).
4. What will we do with your personal information?
We will use your information to:
- Respond to your enquiry/comments/complaints
- Process the enrolment onto the chosen course
- Monitor attendance and progress
- Contact you regarding the course if necessary
- Contact next of kin in the case of an emergency
- Produce and provide reports to the Welsh Government to demonstrate that the courses run are successful and in line with the terms and conditions of the funding
- To give evidence of achievement to awarding bodies so that certificates can be awarded.
- Unique Learning Number – information you provide will be used by the ‘Managing Information Across Partners (MIAP) service to issue you with a Unique Learner Number (ULN). Further details of how your data is processed and shared can be found at www.miap.gov.uk
- Your contact details may be passed on to contractors acting on behalf of the Welsh Government (including the Wales European Funding Office), to undertake interviews or surveys of current and former learners, as part of formal evaluations of Welsh Government-funded programmes. If you are contacted, the purpose of the interview or survey will be explained to you and you will be given the option to say yes or no to taking part. Your details will then be deleted once the evaluation contract is complete. We may also carry out our own evaluations/surveys and will contact you to gain your views on our services. We may do this directly with you or other Council departments or external consultancy agencies.
5. What is the legal basis for the use of this information?
Data Protection law says that we are allowed to use and share personal information only where we have a proper and lawful reason for doing so.
Our lawful basis for processing personal information is to exercise our functions as a public authority and in the public interest i.e. to provide Adult Community Learning opportunities in RCT.
6. Does the service share my personal information with any other organisation?
We work alongside a number of trusted partner organisations to deliver our services. We will share personal information with these partners as follows:
- Welsh Government – to demonstrate that courses are being run correctly and in accordance with the terms of the funding.
- Awarding bodies, such as Agored Cymru, Qualsafe and BCS. The awarding bodies then provide the certificate.
7. How long will my information be kept?
All enrolment forms are retained for a period of 7 years, or for as long as we are legally required
8. Your information, your rights
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you important rights, including the right to access the personal information the services hold about you.
Click here for further information on your information rights and how to exercise them.
9. Contact us
If you have any concerns or would like to know more about how the service using your personal information please contact us in one of the following ways:
By email : Adulteducation@rctcbc.gov.uk
By telephone : 01443 570075
In writing : Garth Olwg LLC, St Illtyds Road, Church Village, Pontypridd, CF38 1RQ