To become a councillor of Rhondda Cynon Taf Council you must:
- be 18 years of age or over and on the electoral register of the local authority that you wish to stand for
- have worked in the area for the past 12 months or more
- have occupied land in the area, either as an owner or tenant, for 12 months or more.
To assess whether you fit the criteria to become a councillor, please refer to the Local Government Act 1972, which outlines the qualification details in full.
You cannot be a councillor if you:
- Work for Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council; (this only applies to becoming a county borough councillors - not community councillors) or
- Hold a politically restricted post in another authority; or
- Are bankrupt; or
- Have served a prison sentence (including suspended sentences) of 3 months or more within the last 5 years; or
- Have been disqualified under legislation relating to illegal or corrupt practices