A sex establishment can either be a sex shop or a sex cinema.
Sex Establishments are required to be licensed under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.
A sex shop is a premises used for business which consists to a significant degree of selling sex articles.
A sex cinema is any premises used to a significant degree for showing of films, which are concerned primarily with, or relate to, or are intended to stimulate sexual activity.
The law defines the way in which an application is made, which include advertising notice of the application in the local press and displaying a notice outside the premises for a specific time period to give passers by the opportunity to comment by a statutory closing date.
Anybody who operates a sex establishment without a licence or fails to comply with licence condition or admits persons under the age of 18 is committing an offence.
- upon conviction can range from £1,000 to £20,000
When considering an application for a sex establishment licence the Council may only use the following criteria:
- the suitability of the Applicant
- whether the person applying is a "front" person for someone else
- the location and situation of the premises in relation to other premises in the area
- whether the number of sex establishments in that locality is equal to, or exceeds the number which the Council considers appropriate for the area
How to apply
You can now apply for your licence online, where payment (if required) can be taken electronically.
Apply for your sex establishment licence online
Change the circumstances of your Sex Establishment Licence
There is an application fee payable at the time an application is made. Currently the fees are: -
- Grant: £1667.00
- Renewal: £1330.00
- Transfer: £1330.00
Receipt of application notification:
If making an application online you will receive a notification of receipt of payment once a payment has been successfully made. You will then receive an e-mail notification that your application is being processes.
If an application is sent into our Licensing department you will receive a letter notifying you that the application is being processes along with a receipt of payments made within 7 working days
If you hand an application form into our reception office you will receive a receipt of payment immediately and will receive a letter notifying you that the application is being processes within 7 working days
- any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence or by any condition to which a licence is subject may appeal to the Magistrates' Court.
- an appeal against a decision made at the Magistrates Court may be appealed at the Crown Court but the decision of the Crown Court is final.
Complaints / objections
If you have a complaint either about your licence application or regarding our procedures please contact the Licensing Team on 01443 425001 and ask for a Licensing Officer.
To gain access to the public register please contact the Licensing Team on 01443 425001 to make an appointment to view the register at our offices. Alternatively please send an email detailing your request to Licensing.Section@rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk
Contact the Licensing Team for further information and advice using the details below:
Dinas Isaf East
Tel: 01443 425001
Fax: 01443 425301