Skip to main content

House to house collection licence

A permit is required to undertake a 'house to house' collection, under the House to House Collections Act 1939

Regulation summary

Whereas street collection permits are normally issued to cover a period of one or two days, a house-to-house collection permit can be granted for any period up to one year. With regard to vetting and checking to ascertain whether the organisation applying is genuine or not, the same procedures apply as for street collections.

As with street collection permits there is a requirement for the promoter of the collection to make a return following the collection.

Collections generally take place from door to door or from one public house to another.

Some of the larger well-known charities such as Christian Aid, Help the Aged etc, have a Charity Commission exemption from having to apply for a permit, but by and large most of the smaller, and particularly local groups and organisations need a permit before they can collect money (or articles which they intend to sell later), from door to door.

View full details of the House to House Collections Regulation

Eligibility criteria

One of the key grounds for refusal would be where the total amount likely to be applied for charitable purpose as a result of the collection, is inadequate in proportion to the value of the proceeds likely to be received. So, for instance, where an applicant intends to claim a fair proportion of the proceeds of the collection for expenses, a permit could be refused. There is no statutory guidance to local authorities on what would be a reasonable amount for expenses.

Application process

Application forms can be obtained by contacting us or by applying online using the details below:

Please note: It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact them using the details below

How to apply

You can now apply for your licence online, where payment (if required) can be taken electronically or alternatively you can obtain an application form by contacting us using the details below:

Licensing Team

Ty Elai,

Dinas Isaf East
CF40 1NY

Tel: 01443 425001
Fax: 01443 425301 

Receipt of application notification:

If making an application online you will receive an e-mail notification that your application is being processed.

If an application is sent into our Licensing department you will receive a letter notifying you that the application is being processed within 7 working days

If you hand an application form into our reception office you will receive a letter notifying you that the application is being processed within 7 working days

Appeal process

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court

Complaints / objections

If you have a complaint either about your licence application or regarding our procedures please contact the Licensing Team on 01443 425001 and ask for a Licensing Officer.

Public registers

To gain access to the public register please contact the Licensing Team on 01443 425001 to make an appointment to view the register at our offices. Alternatively please send an email detailing your request to

Further information

A copy of the House-to-House Collections Act 1939 can be viewed at the Council Offices where you can also obtain an application form and a copy of our standard conditions.