Nos Galan Need to Knows
The countdown is well and truly on for one of the most exciting nights in the sporting calendar and Rhondda Cynon Taf is so proud to be the host!
Thousands of runners and spectators from near and far flock to Mountain Ash for the legendary (and award-winning) Nos Galan Road Races.
Inspired by Guto Nyth Bran, once the fastest man in the world, the races are a chance for runners of all abilities and ages to test themselves.
It also happens to be one of the best New Year’s Eve experiences around, with family fun, fireworks and an incredible atmosphere.
Here’s 10 things you need to know about Nos Galan 2019
1. The mystery celebrity runner – or runners? Has been confirmed and all will be revealed on the night! Who will it be?
2. Yes the fireworks will be back – ending 2019 in style.
3. Enjoy a snack or a whirl on the fairground rides.
4. Win a prize in the fun run for best fancy dress! We’ve had the Beatles, Where’s Wally and more. Who will you be? (Please note we can only allow costumes that can be “worn”. You cannot compete with a cart/trolley/wheelbarrow and so on!)
5. The little ones get to have a go to – there are four age categories in the junior races.
6. We have separated the men’s and women’s elite races for 2019. This means less congestion on the route and more enjoyable race experience for all.
7. There will be medals, T Shirts – and goodie bags – for all competitors.
8. The race route has not changed since last year. There’s a huge amount of work ongoing in Mountain Ash due to the Cross Valley Link – but the route remains the same as 2018.
9. As with every year, we will be celebrating the legend that is Guto Nyth Bran. His statue stands proud in Mountain Ash town centre and wreath will be laid at his grave, in the grounds of the stunning St Gwynno’s Church.
10. It’s a family affair for competitors and just as much of one for the organisers. We pay tribute to race founder Bernard Baldwin OBE, who passed away in 2017 and thank his daughter, Alison, for becoming Honorary Patron of the Nos Galan Road Races.