Skip to main content

My Personal Education Plan


What is a Personal Education Plan (PEP)?

You will need to have a Personal Education Plan if you become looked after or if you change school. A PEP is an important document that forms part of your Care and Support Plan. It records how Rhondda Cynon Taf Council and your school plan to help you throughout your education so you can achieve your full potential. It helps you to set targets and to record any achievements.

Lots of people might help write your PEP including your parents, your Social Worker, the Designated LAC Teacher at your school, the Looked After Children Education Co-ordinator and most importantly you. You should have a say about what you want to happen in school.

Your PEP will be reviewed regularly and people may need to meet with you to talk about how things are going for you in school. 

‘Designated’ LAC Teacher

Every school within Rhondda Cynon Taf has a Designated Teacher for children in care. They are there to make sure you get the support you need. Your Designated LAC Teacher should make sure your PEP is up to date and that it reflects your needs, your views, any concerns and more importantly your achievements.

If you don’t know who the Designated LAC Teacher is at your school, you can ask a member of staff in your school or contact the LAC Education Co-ordinator on 01443 744049.

What is an Individual Education Plan (IEP)?

An Individual Education Plan is designed for children with additional learning needs to help them to get the most out of their education. This document sets out targets and actions for the young person to work towards. The IEP should be filled in with a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at your school and reviewed every few months. Your parents or carers might also be involved in this review.