Skip to main content

EU Settlement Scheme - Identity Verification

EU Settlement Scheme

Applications for settled status closed in June 2021. However the Welsh Government will continue to fund Citizens Advice Cymru, third sector organisation ‘Settled’ and immigration specialist lawyers, Newfields Law, to provide ongoing support to EU citizens, and also EEA and Swiss nationals, who wish to continue to live and work in Wales, until at least 31 March 2022.

Please contact Claire Williamson for further information.

Who can apply?

Information on who is required to apply for pre-settled or settled status can be found on the website (

There is no change to current rights under EU law until the end of the planned implementation period 31 December 2020.

Identity Verification

You’ll need a compatible Android phone or tablet if you want to scan your identity document yourself; this can be your own phone or tablet or someone else’s.

If your mobile phone or other device doesn’t have near filed communication (NFC) you can make an appointment to bring your ID document to us, where it can be scanned and verified for you. You will then be able to make an application for –pre-settled or settled status.

We will not need to keep your ID document and in most cases your should not be asked to send your passport anywhere else during your application for pre-settled or settled status.

Please note: that if you have already submitted your application for pre-settled or settled status then you are required to post your ID document to the Home Office even if you attend the local authority EU Settlement Service. If you have attempted self-service and submitted your application without completing the ID verification process then please contact the Home Office, -scheme-settled-and pre-settled-status

If you wish to book an appointment to use the EU Settlement Service at Rhondda Cynon Taf, please:

Our office opening hours are:

  • Monday to Friday -  9:30am to 13:00pm and 13:30-16:00pm.

What to bring to your appointment

Your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen.

A mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email.

Only the ID documents listed above can be checked by us. If you do not have one of these ID documents then please click on the link below for your options.

Find out more about the EU settlement scheme (

EU Settlement Scheme – help and advice

A new website has been launched by the Welsh Government to bring together and promote the range of help on offer for EU citizens living in Wales. Please see link :